Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Train to Fort William

31st October, Glasgow to Fort William

Now... For some reason I keep waking up (without fail) at 5.46am each day. Today was no different. Up early, and I tried to fall back to sleep, but to no avail. So up for breakfast, and then out and about in Glasgow for an early morning stroll. Along with some amazingly old buildings, Glasgow has this rough and rugged feel to it, but I liked it. There was more to this old town than what meets the eye...

It was soon time to catch the train to Fort William. And what a train ride it was! I love trains at the best of times, but this... this train ride was magical! The route takes you through parts of the West Highland Way, which is mountains and lochs, valleys and view beyond imagination! Winding around mountain bases, and chugging past lochs, while the autumn colours of Scotland were brilliant and vivid. Oh it was magnificent! The closer we got to Fort William, the more deer I saw, bounding away as the noise of the train startled them. Then Ben Nevis and the peaks next to it came into view.

I still don't know it it was snow or simply frost and ice on the top of Ben Nevis, but my first view of the mountain was seeing it towering above the bogland and moors it was surrounded by. And the magic and wonderment I felt, gah I was blown away! As giddy as anything looking at what could very well be my first and only view of snow on this island of countries! I felt like a small child with my nose pressed hard up against the train window!

It was cold and dark by the time I got to the Bank Street Lodge in Fort William. But I still made (back DOWN the hill the lodge is on) to Tesco to get my dinner. Happy days and hot food in the belly made for an early night in bed for this one traveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment