Friday, October 29, 2010

A Boat to Holyhead

28th October, Dublin to Holyhead on Stenaline

Today was a looooong day! I woke up a stupid o'clock because the girl in the bunk above me was dying of a coughing fit between 2 am and 5am, and my alarm was set for 6am! So stupid o'clock came around, and I got up, dressed and out the door of Jacob's Inn, into the cold Dublin morning... where it was a dark, windy morning (but without rain!). I managed to get to the bus stop for the complimentary Stenaline bus to the port without any incidents, just frozen fingers.

The bus ride itself had a fairly interesting aspect - a lovely English lady who wouldn't shut up! She kept pestering the driver, and eventually got off the bus earlier than what you are really meant to. Thankfully, there wasn't anyone else to chatter away for the last of the bus ride, and then we were at the port! My bag (which would have pulled in a fair bit of excess on Ryanair) was checked in, no payment required! Then into the lounge, for a short wait to board the Stena Adventurer...

I was in ferry heaven, it was the most luxurious ferry I have ever been on! It was huge, with restaurants, a video arcade, and even a giant Curious George wandering around on the deck. I walked past him at one point and he was lying on his back on the floor with his legs and arms waving around like a dying cockroach... All because a passenger accidentally knocked him over when she walked past... Good thing the man was wearing a mask, I think he would have been so embarrassed to do that without a mask!

2 hours later saw the ferry outside the Holyhead terminal in Wales, however, another ferry was leaving berth, so we had to wait - AN HOUR! This meant I missed my train to Birmingham, which inadvertently meant I had to buy another ticket. Which then took like 4 hours to travel on with changes. Which was ridiculous really. But what can you do huh? I had to get to Stafford. And now I am sitting in a comfy chair, in a warm house, and all because I worked with some lovely people, this house being the home of one of those people - THANKS DAN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment